Friday 3 May 2013

DIY: Handpainted heart coasters

Hi!
I am getting really excited about moving house. I bought some paint samples yesterday to try out and have been pinning ideas like crazy on Pinterest!

The other fun part is making little bits & pieces so I've got things ready to put out and make the place feel homey as soon as possible!
I know I want pops of yellow in our living room so I've made these heart-shaped coasters. I LOVED this little project. I can be very particular about buying things for our home and if I can't exactly what I'm imagining I just have to make it myself which makes it all the more satisfying.
I found these ceramic coasters from Next Home. I got two sets because I simply could not resist! Plus, you need coasters right!? 
You can buy these Porcelain Painter Pens online or in crafts shops like Hobby Craft.





Start by wiping the surface of the coasters with a dry cloth to get rid of any dust or oil from your hands. Then 'paint' on your designs. Do whatever you like. I've used a golden yellow colour and have been inspired by succulent plants. Once painted, leave to dry for 4 hours or overnight - I always wait overnight just to be 100% sure. Then place in a cold oven (do not preheat the oven). Turn the oven on 180oc for 45-60 mins. Turn the oven off and let them completely cool down inside. Placing them in the oven will secure your design and make them dishwasher safe. (You wont need to put coasters in the dishwasher but if you use these pens on mugs, bowls, plates, etc then you may want to dish wash them). 

I LOVE how they have turned out!



I also made this set of cups & saucers for my sisters birthday this week. They make a really unique and personal gift!




Happy crafting!!

Xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment